Monday, November 07, 2005

Little Boys Are Not Like Little Girls

I love picking Michael up from school, because the half-day kids in his class are scheduled to be in the play yard at that time. I get a chance to see him in his element, playing with his friends. Sometimes that involves riding a tricycle (and being driven off the road by one of the girls in his class), sometimes it's baseball or soccer, and sometimes it's leaping off a small play structure and bonking heads with one of the other boys, causing a moment of stunned silence and then laughter and more jumping.

Today, one of the boys was chasing other kids around, his hands formed like he was wielding a gun or, possibly, a syringe. As a teacher walked between my vantage point and Michael, I saw the boy run up to Michael with hands in attack mode and making a hissing sound. When I could see Michael again, he was sprawled prone on the playground floor in a very convincing portrayal of unconsciousness.

After he got up and came with me to go home, I asked him what they were playing.

"Death."

Aw, they're so cute at this age.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You obviously haven't seen Emma at school playing Power Rangers or arm-and-shoulder-chomping-super-mega-dinosaurs. But yes, boys are quite different. The shear amount of jumping off of play structures is astounding.

This one made me laugh, glad Michael has such refined, sophisticated friends!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.