Saturday, July 15, 2006

Coming Soon To A Blockbuster Near You

Even as I sit here, our lovely little iMac is dutifully ingesting byte after megabyte of videotape. We finally picked up a device that will allow our old videocamera to communicate with the computer to that we can turn our old tapes into DVDs. In fact, one of the reasons we got this computer was to enable us to make DVDs easily. I was clever when I bought our videocamera a few years ago, getting one that can play old 8 mm tape but records digitally on tape and exports digital signal -- a hybrid of sorts, preserving a bridge to our older analog 8 mm tapes. What I did not realize was that our videocamera does not have a Firewire port, which prevented it from communicating directly with the Mac. However, I found a device today that allows the two machines to communicate with each other, and it works flawlessly. I now need to learn to use iMovie to edit the tape, and then iDVD to put the DVD together. An Adobe program came bundled with the link device if I need functionality beyond what Apple provides, but I'm going to try to work with the native programs. I'm very curious to see whether the Apple's capabilities match its hype.

If it all works, we should have several volumes' worth of video on DVD coming soon. Grandparents: get your orders in now!

3 comments:

Dave said...

I'll keep that in mind. I thought Appleheads loved Adobe, though.

I'm figuring out iMovie so far, and it seems to provide what little I need.

Meg said...

Hey! I take offense at the Adobe criticism!! You probably have their Premier product, it's supposed to be a good one. Dad uses it, if you need help.

Will you be copying over ALL the tapes? I seem to remember a VHS tape with about an hour's worth of close ups of Kelly sleeping. Precious memories, sure, but blockbuster movie material???

Dave said...

Scoff not -- this is a DVD we're talking about. The epic 15 minute closeup of Kelly (at about four weeks) sleeping will have its own chapter, so you can skip right to it!