Friday, January 26, 2007

Legomania

Michael received a bunch of Lego kits for his birthday and Christmas. Whether he was ready or not, he had graduated from the hamster-sized pieces of Duplos down to the ladybug-sized pieces of the real Lego kits. I thought it was all pretty neat, since I had always wanted Legos when I was a kid (and never got any ... no long term issues there, nope), but I was reluctant to open Michael's kits, since I imagined a multicolored blizzard of tiny plastic pieces stewn across several rooms and ingested into the bowels of the vacuum cleaners.

Michael insisted however, in that gentle wheedling that turns your thoughts immediately to "Cat's in the Cradle." I didn't want to be that Dad, so I relented. For the first Star Wars kits, I located the right pieces and did most of the construction, following the plans provided. The plans are not the easiest directions in the world, as they essentially force the builder to play the childhood game of "figure out how this drawing differs from the one just before it." If you can figure out what pieces have been added in the new drawing, and where they go, you're doing well.

We built the Star Wars ships without much trouble. Then came the House. Michael received a 600+ piece kit that came with directions to build three different kinds of houses. With this kit, we found a good rhythm in which I would locate the pieces for a building step, and while Michael figured out how to put them together, I would gather the next set of pieces. It took us all of an afternoon to build the first, largest house. It took somewhat less time to build the next house a few days later.

The surprise came last weekend when Michael pulled out yet another new set of Legos, this one of a variety of cars and trucks. Unlike the house, this kit was nothing but small, intricate pieces and design. He never even came to me; Michael built all of the cars completely on his own, and even designed a couple of new ones. Then he rebuilt the house into the third of its designs, again without anybody's help. I can't help but be proud of his work:

No comments: