Saturday, February 03, 2007

You Can Go Home Again, A Little Bit

My main contribution to Michael's Christmas was a plastic model kit. After all, what little boy doesn't like to build cars out of fragile pieces of plastic? I was excited about it, anyway, since building model cars was one of my main hobbies as a kid.

After our adventures with Legos, Michael enjoyed snapping the Corvette together.


I think I enjoyed a little more than he did, though.


As I suspected might happen, building a model again inspired me to work through some of the unbuilt kits I've had for years. We managed to find a great little table at IKEA that fits into the only remaining corner we have, and it even has a little shelf under the tabletop, a perfect platform for serious model building. One quick trip to the hobby shop for paints, brushes and knives and I was all ready to go.


The interesting development is that I can now afford to spend a couple of dollars on really good brushes, so I no longer have to paint details with shaved toothpicks (which never really worked that well). I'm also ready to attempt the proper sanding techniques for multiple coats of spray paint, something I had never attempted in the past.

As for my subject, there really was only one choice:




Paint and assembly is about half complete. Stay tuned.

No comments: