Friday, March 21, 2008

Sports History Online

For those who are old enough to remember when Sports Illustrated consistently offered some of the finest writing anywhere (which just happened to be about sports), or if you are one of those strange people like me who loved ESPN Classic when it debuted because it just played old baseball games just the way they were, Sports Illustrated has something for you. SI has put its entire archive online. This is a tremendously valuable resource for anyone who appreciates sports history. Read about the Giants' arrival in San Francisco, Michael Jordan's exploits as a freshman at North Carolina when he was still known as Mike and there was as yet no "Air" anything, and the surprise triumph of Joe Namath's Jets in Super Bowl III.

How cool is this:


Sal Maglie on pitching? Such great stuff. And the ads from back in the day are easily as interesting as the articles themselves.

If I had a laptop with me, I would ditch all those books I've been reading and catch up with all the decades of SI I've missed.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Finally, I can revisit some of my favorite issues! I have a special place in my heart for the February 10, 1986 issue, although I also enjoyed the issue from February 15, 1988.

I was also surprised to discover that Sports Illustrated has articles. Who knew?