Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Another Car Peeve

I understand the impulse to park one's car in such a way as to minimize the likelihood of acquiring annoying door dings and the like. I follow that philosophy myself much of the time, especially at work where we have a large but crowded multi-level parking garage. I approach the issue analytically. For a while I parked with a large support post immediately to my right, so that my only exposed flank was the driver's side, which would only be in danger in the unlikely event that the next car carried two people. That worked until someone put a pretty obnoxious scratch in my rear deck lid, so I now park in a spot at the far end of the garage that, due to the oblique angle of the structure and arrangement of support posts, puts me about five feet away from any other cars. Perfect, and I get a little exercise from the hike.

Not so perfect are the geniuses who decide that their protection scheme will involve using the end space of a row, but parking further away from the neighboring space so that they actually park outside of their designated space. Which means that their car now slops out into a lane of traffic, and in a crowded garage, that car now chokes off the narrow turning area around the end of the row. If there is anything someone could do to increase the likelihood of acquiring a dent far worse than a mere door ding, this would be it. Brilliant. Especially you, Mr. 20-ft Long Extended Pickup with Full Size Bed.

No comments: