Tuesday, August 28, 2007

For The Win!

If you want to see a little bit of what I do for a living, feel free to check out this opinion of California First Circuit Court of Appeal that was filed earlier today. [Please note that the subject matter is a bit unpleasant, and the ultimate conclusion is that our client, an insurance company, did not have an obligation to defend or indemnify the company that employed the perpetrator of the crime described. If this causes you distress, I would be happy to explain to you sometime how in fact I do sleep at night.]

This is the happy culmination of the effort I undertook in June, and many months before that. It gives me more than a little satisfaction to see the Court's analysis tracking so closely with my own.

The most interesting aspect of this result for me personally is that the opinion has been "certified for publication." This means that the decision will be published in the official reports of the Court of Appeal of the State of California. The basic import of that status is that the opinion can now be relied upon as precedent by other parties in future litigation. Selfishly, I now know that, so long as the American legal system endures, my name will be shown in perpetuity in connection with this case. I may have no other effect on the world at large in my days, but I do know that, should a descendant of mine enter into a law library some years or decades in the future, he or she can point to this case and say "my [dad/grandpa/great grandpa/ancient ancestor] did that."

Not a bad way to close out my tenure in this office.

No comments: