Thursday, August 23, 2007

On Departures

I have worked in a few high-tech companies in my time. Whenever an employee quit, unless it was an end-of-summer thing as was always the case with me, that employee was ushered out the door that same day. I have always assumed that concerns over theft of intellectual property, either actively or passively, was the driving force been such summary treatment.

The law world has been somewhat more conventional. Associates typically give two-weeks notice of their impending departure, and within that time their caseloads are redistributed to other attorneys, while the departing attorney prepares transitional memos to tell the next person where all the bodies are buried. I did that once myself, and it was relatively painless. Some people are sorry to see you go, and some write you off. It is as if you had been engaged in conversation with some folks on a train, but as soon as you announce that you are getting off at the next stop, the conversation stops since their stories will take longer than that to finish. Having seen many associates leave since I've been a partner at my current firm, I have developed the necessary skill of detatching easily from departing associates. It is a part of the business, and it is easier for all concerned to simply move on as swiftly as possible.

All of this makes my own departure, as a partner required to give 30 days notice, an awkward event. I understand the need taking enough time for smooth transition, but I have known plenty of partners who, once they announced their intention to withdraw from a partnership, were shown the door immediately. My circumstances are such that the reasons for taking such action (protecting the firm's clients) is unneccessary in my case. Intially, I also felt that it would be a detriment to all, especially young associates, to see the "disloyal" partner hanging around the office for a month. More recently, I've come to realize that another side effect of a long goodbye is the dwindling work and, frankly, motivation of the person leaving. By design, my work has tapered off. By circumstance, my head is also several places at once now. I'm working, and getting work done, but it is almost down to a charade now.

The benefits that I bring to the firm at large are diminishing rapidly ... but again, by design. I just don't think this dying on the vine business is healthy for anyone.

1 comment:

Andy said...

I remember leaving a previous job, where my manager made a half-hearted counteroffer to convince me to stay. The problem is that, by the time someone has decided to leave, they have already mentally written off the old job. And frankly, it doesn’t feel like anything you can come back from. I don’t know how much money could turn an attitude of “I’m done with this job” into “I feel happy and fulfilled in my well-paying job!” Or if there is such an amount, I’ve never been offered it.

Sorry to hear about the slow death that comes with resigning. Hopefully you can devote your energy into something more productive, such as embezzling funds.