Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The iPhone Improves

I love the idea of the iPhone, but the original model seemed better in theory or potential than in actual execution. I've played with it, and I love the interface, but for my purposes, it fell short in several critical ways.

Now, in its usual style, Apple is paying out the upgrade line on the iPhone inch by inch. The original iPhone team loaded with Google maps, but had no GPS capability. Apple recently introduced a workaround solution in which the device locates itself by triangulating off of cell phone towers rather than satellites. As long as the user saves close to urban areas, this should be enough to turn the iPhone into a useful guidance device.

Another odd compromise inherent in the original iPhone was the relative lack of storage space. In an era in which Apple produces 80 GB iPods, and is promoting the sale of movies over iTunes for viewing on iPods and high phones, the idea that the iPhone could get by with 4 GB or 8 GB is laughable. In a half step in the right direction, Apple has now introduced a 16 GB iPhone. This would now be enough to hold my entire music collection, although it would not leave much left over for video content. With judicious editing of my iTunes library, however (do I really need a compendium of Star Wars themes with me at all times?), we 16 GB storage would be adequate for just about any purpose I can imagine. If I had one now, it would be perfect for my frequent airline trips, which allow for about 40 minutes of the use of electronic devices.

One remaining limitation is Apple's reliance on an older, slower Internet protocol. Once Apple upgrades the iPhone to 3G technology, all of my basic objections will have been answered. There will always be other technological wishes that the fanboys will have (stereo Bluetooth, cut and paste), but for my purposes, the iPhone is very close to being the one-stop, fully functional 21st-century personal assistant/entertainment device that I want it to be.

Now, if Apple would just do something about the high price.

No, that's one thing I know will never change.

1 comment:

Andy said...

“do I really need a compendium of Star Wars themes with me at all times?”

You have obviously never ridden in the car with my son.

We were at a friend’s house, and we could hear one of the kids banging on the table from the next room. Without going in, I knew it was my son, because he was banging out the Imperial March. At that point, I knew I had succeeded as a parent.