Tuesday, May 26, 2009

As If I Needed Another Reminder That I'm Getting Older

While watching lacrosse on TV this weekend, one of the announcers noted that a player was following in the footsteps of his father who had played for the university in his day. The comment immediately brought to my mind's eye a slightly faded square Kodachrome, white border around the edge imprinted with a small "Jul 68." A youngish man with shaggy hair, an oddly wide collar and a mustache standing with a grinning little boy dressed in wildly incompatible colors and patterns completed the mental image.

Then I started doing some arithmetic. Had my life gone only somewhat differently than it has, that sepia-toned image could be updated to show a red "Jul 92" in the lower right corner of the borderless 4x6 Fugifilm picture. I could be the father of a college-age kid; I know people my age who are.

It made me realize that it may be too late for me to replenish my supply of college sweatshirts, or at least garments that don't have the word "Alumni" on them. If I wear college gear around here, I'm afraid that someone will assume that I'm wearing it in support of some child of mine away at Santa Barbara, rather than (as it turns out) feebly trying to hold on to the carefree days of youth.

It's time to remind myself that, for a couple more weeks anyway, I still have a first grader.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Oh, and don't forget about yesterday at the pool when the lifeguard humbled you too!