Monday, October 04, 2004

I Wish We Made Shows Like This

My life changed when our local cable company added Speed TV to the lineup. Now, I get to enjoy the coolest car show on the tube. Great cars, tons of personality, a willingness to savage cars that deserve it, and a fearlessness in utterly abusing cars on the track (as I type this, I'm watching Tiff hang out the tail of a DB7 sideways while dismissing it as a bit of a poser). It's a British import, of course.

I've watched somnabulent John Davis on Motorweek for twenty years, since back in the day when it was the only auto show on TV, hiding in the nether reaches of the weekend PBS schedule. Mr. Davis is clearly a nice man, who has put out a pleasant product for a long time, but let's face it: his show is just another arm of the manufacturers' marketing departments. It operates on the "Home on the Range" method: seldom is heard a discouraging word.

No comments: