Friday, March 24, 2006

Fun While It Lasted

Hello, I'm back.

Remember all that hoo-ah about the new iMac? Well, it's iToast. Tragically, even though it looked uber-cool, did things in that intuitive Mac way and appeared to have neat features that we would enjoy for years, it was more buggy that Orlando in August. It would consistently hang when coming out of "sleep," and the keyboard and mouse would consistently freeze. One thing it would not do consistently is boot up after being turned off. Like a little scrawny dude who shows up at Rucker Park thinking he's going to do some ballin', the iMac is being sent home.

Apple tech support, to its credit, has been excellent. I never waited more than a minute to get through to anyone, my case documentation was centralized so that each new person I spoke to knew what had been done so far, and they willingly agreed to exchange the machine after I had exhausted all of their suggestioned fixes to determine if the problem was related to software (nope) or hardware (oh, yeah). Unfortunately, after I put the machine on the FedEx truck today, I'll be without an iMac for a few days. I hadn't even had time to explore the cool features that were a big part of why we chose it: the ability to easily work with digital pictures, the ability to create DVDs, etc.

This is the lament of an early adopter. After running into trouble with our iMac, I finally checked the support message boards on the Apple site. Whoops. It seems that sleep and keyboard/mouse problems are rampant with this new machine. It doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence that the next machine will be any better. On the other hand, I still want it, and as long as product support remains helpful and prompt, I expect that I will put up with a lot of beta testing in order to get to the truly finished product.

Gee, that Kool-Aid went down smooth, didn't it?

No comments: