Friday, March 10, 2006

It's a Sickness

Baseball season is just around the corner again, which means it's time to crank up the fantasy league teams. For the record, in four seasons, I've won twice and come in second once. Total cumulative pre-draft study time in those four years: probably less than five hours. So we can draw one clear conclusion: I'm insanely lucky. (Well, that and pretty good at making free-agent acquisitions during the season.)

Today was the first day of a multi-day draft in a new-to-me league that Chris brought me into. For the convenience of the owners, each owner is allotted 10 hours to make a pick, so the draft is intended to take about three weeks. The draft hours are 8 am to 11 pm every day, which would be fine, except for the fact that the league is almost entirely based on the east coast. So, first pick was set for this morning at 5 a.m. out here on the Left Coast.

I was assured that I did not have to be up at the crack of dawn. The pace is intended to be relaxed, and I had the third pick anyway. Here's the scary thing: I woke up at 4:55. Without an alarm. Might as well join in on the fun. The irony, of course, is that the guy in the first position did not make his pick until four hours later. Ah, well. We all make sacrifices for the things we love. I can sleep some other time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was before the awesome power of the Corporate Y! faced up against you.