Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Do You Like Helicopters?

You can get a nice view of our pretty June afternoon weather (wouldn't you like to be getting out of school right about now?) in this video ... which happens to describe a high speed chase of a motorcycle through rush hour traffic that ended in our local mall.

I have become attuned to the presence of hovering helicopters the way desert dwellers recognize circling buzzards: something bad is happening there. I was alerted to another chase last week when several helicopters thundered past the office, including a police chopper that swooped and dove low (well below the level of my 22nd story office) in ways I've only seen in movies. That and the line of eight police cars behind what was obviously the target vehicle that darted through stopped traffic. That chase came to an ignominious end just over the hill in Hollywood. But the weather was nice, huh?

Last night, I was in the middle of my drive home when I saw a bunch of helicopters perched just above my intended route as I approached Glendale. Selecting one of the several news radio stations (the one with traffic on the ones, or on the sixes, or something), I quickly learned that the chase had only moments before gone right past me on the freeway parallel to the frontage road I use. Such excitement! To top it off, the guy got away after ditching the bike in the Galleria parking structure, but was arrested this morning.

Come visit LA! Especially if you love helicopters.

No comments: