Thursday, June 23, 2005

Fantasy Baseball Team Midyear Report

Okay, okay, to silence your incessant clamour, here's an update on how my beloved Eefus Aficionados are doing this year.

Hmm, let's see here. Oh yeah: first place.

I have benefitted from the fortuity of drafting Albert Pujols, Derek Lee and David Ortiz, as well as the ageless Roger Clemens and surprising Adam Eaton. I've made a few solid roster moves as well, though, grabbing David Eckstein and Mark Grudzielanek, following my semi-proven theory of relying on non-superstar players of great teams to provide solid stats (having four Angels in 2002, including Eckstein, was a significant contributor to my league win that year). I also picked up Dustin Hermanson when it appeared that he would probably be given the closer role when the White Sox's season opening closer faltered in the first weeks of the season. I also grabbed Tyler Walker once the Giants' closing role went into flux when Benitez went down, figuring the Giants would not hand the job to Jeff Fassero (too old, slow and left-handed) or Matt Herges (had already failed spectacularly in that role in the last game of the year last year; he has since been released by the club).

The league I'm in this year uses a head-to-head format based upon 17 statistical categories, so after each week, a team could have a maximum of 17 "wins" or "losses." My best week was a 16-1 wipeout; my worst week was a 4-12 setback. Overall, I've picked up 105 wins, for an average of 9.5 per week.

I think it's time for the Dodgers to give me a shot. I couldn't be worse than the GM they have.

No comments: