Friday, June 24, 2005

Lauer 1, Cruise 0

Tom Cruise's descent into walking insanity is as disquieting as it is entertaining. The Movie Star tried to cut Today show host Matt Lauer down to size today by belittling him for not knowing everything there is to know about Ritalin and other mood-altering drugs. Lauer punctured Cruise's all-knowing balloon in this exchange:


TOM CRUISE: Because just knowing people who are on Ritalin isn't enough. //you should be a little bit more responsible in knowing really--

MATT LAUER: I'm not prescribing Ritalin, Tom. And I'm not asking--

TOM CRUISE: Well--

MATT LAUER: --anyone else to do it. I'm simply saying-- (OVERTALK)

TOM CRUISE: Well, you are. You're saying--

MATT LAUER: I know some people who seem to have been helped by it.

TOM CRUISE: I-- but you're saying-- but you-- like-- this is a very important issue.

MATT LAUER: I couldn't agree more.

TOM CRUISE: It's very-- and you know what? You're here on the Today Show.

MATT LAUER: Right.

TOM CRUISE: And to talk about it in a way of saying, "Well, isn't it okay," and being reasonable about it when you don't know and I do, I think that you should be a little bit more responsible in knowing what it is.

MATT LAUER: But--

TOM CRUISE: Because you-- you communicate to people.

MATT LAUER: But you're now telling me that your experiences with the people I know, which are zero, are more important than my experiences.

TOM CRUISE: What do you mean by that?

MATT LAUER: You're telling me what's worked for people I know or hasn't worked for people I know. // i'm telling you i've lived with these people and they're better.

Good one, Matt.

Are mood-altering drugs overprescribed, and conditions like ADHD over-diagnosed? Probably. But Tom Cruise, who believes drugs of this kind have come directly from Nazi experiments, is not a credible source for guidance on the use of, well, just about any kind of medication.

Judging by Cruise's increasingly bizarre outbursts, and the suddenly increased volume of Scientology mail sent to our house in the name of the prior tenants, something big and L. Ron Hubbardy must be imminent.

No comments: